Carrying the Message
Our 12th step encourages us to “carry the message of recovery”. And there’s no better way to do that than to start a fresh SLAA meeting.
We encourage you to try — and our traditions tell us that
Any two or more persons gathered for mutual aid in recovering from sex and love addiction may call themselves an SLAA group, provided that as a group they have no other affiliation.The Twelve Traditions of SLAA
Resources for your new meeting
- Group Starter Kit.pdf
- Editable Sample Meeting Format.rtf
- List your new meeting on the Australian meeting calendar.
- Register a new group with SLAA Fellowship World Services
- Purchase discounted Group Literature Start-up Pack or Anorexia Group Starter Kit from FWS
- Subscribe to the Intergroup newsletter, to receive updates, on events, new meetings, literature, latest Journal, Intergroup news…
- Public Liability Insurance is required by some venues. The Australian Intergroup has a national policy covering in-person and virtual meetings based in Australia.
Intergroup Zoom Accounts for use by Meetings
The Australian Intergroup has Zoom Pro Accounts which can be used to host meetings. Email the webmaster for details.
Starting an in-person meeting
To get started, we strongly encourage you to read the chapter on “Starting an SLAA Group” in the SLAA Basic Text.
- The Australian Intergroup supports the starting of new in-person meetings by offering repayable start-up funds. This does not cover ongoing costs. Email email@example.com for more information
- Decide what rent you can afford – paying too much rent is one of the major challenges new meetings face. Organisations such as councils and churches may give discounts on their normal rent for 12 step meetings, but you’ll have to ask.
- Choose a venue – public or private. Try looking at where other 12 step fellowships hold their meetings to get ideas.
- Choose a date and time. Keep in mind the 4th tradition and try not to have a negative impact on existing in-person meetings.
- Appoint a Group Representative to connect with Intergroup.
- Find new members for your meeting, by making contact with local rehabs, therapists and churches.
PLEASE NOTE: We are not a registered charity.
The 8 Core Documents of SLAA
These documents are frequently used in SLAA Meetings.
- Twelve Steps
- Twelve Traditions
- Twelve Concepts
- S.L.A.A. Preamble
- Characteristics of Sex and Love Addiction
- 40 Questions for Self-Diagnosis
- Signs of Recovery
- Twelve Recommended Guidelines for Dealing with the Media
SLAA HOW Meeting Starter Kit
The following links may be useful for setting up a HOW meeting: